Every winter sport fan has a strong opinion about where to find the best slopes and trails. If you’re new to the sport or just looking for new slopes to try, we’ve come up with our top five picks of the best ski resorts in the nation.
- Aspen Snowmass: This world class ski range located in Colorado includes Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk, home of this year’s Winter X Games. A combination of world class trails and a unique cultural atmosphere makes this ski resort great for extreme sports and an eventful vacation.
- Squaw Valley: This California ski resort located on Lake Tahoe was the site of the Winter Olympics in 1960. Located on top of the Sierra Nevada, this resort includes 6 peaks across 4,000 acres. Large amounts of snow fall make the slopes at Squaw Valley some of the best in the world and it is the only U.S. ski resort with a funitel, a high speed aerial lift for skiers and snowboarders.
- Vail: Another Colorado favorite, this ski resort has over 5,000 acres of ski area with 193 runs. It is the largest single-mountain resort in the U.S. and the second largest ski resort in North America. Vail is relatively new, founded in 1962. Ski and snowboarding classes along with unique lodging and dining opportunities attract enormous crowds every year.
- Heavenly Mountain Resort: With 97 runs over 4,800 acres and one of the largest snowmaking systems, this resort on Lake Tahoe is a favorite for snow sport fans. Heavenly sees an average of 360 inches of snow each year, creating quality ski conditions.
- Jackson Hole: If you are looking for a challenge, this is the place to go. Half of their 150 runs are black diamond level and the top elevation reaches 10,450 feet. This Wyoming ski resort also has snowshoeing, Nordic skiing, dog sledding and snowmobiling.